BIG solutions from small technology
NTEC-MUNI 2021 is supported by Virginia Tech’s NSF-funded National Center for Earth and Environmental Nanotechnology (NanoEarth). Winning teams receive a cash award to help develop their concept as well as business development mentorship for their innovative idea. NTEC-MUNI awards:
- Encourage innovation and entrepreneurship through diverse, student-led teams involved in NanoEarth’s MUNI program (nanoearth.ictas.vt.edu/MUNI.html) or another node site within the NSF-funded National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (www.nnci.net);
- Provide seed funding to help teams use nanotechnology to solve real-world problems in society;
- Encourage commercialization of nano-enabled technologies as value-added products or services
- Educate students on the technology transfer process
We expect to support five awards of up to $1,000 each. Awards can be used for qualifying materials & supplies, usage of NanoEarth instruments, and student travel to NanoEarth at Virginia Tech.
- March 3rd, 2021: One-page summary due (see format in Attachment A)
- March 10th, 2021: Notification of awardees
- Teams must be student led, but a faculty mentor is required.
- Team leaders must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at a minority serving institution OR, the leader may have participated in a research experience for undergraduates (REU) program at a participating NNCI site and submit a statement defining their underrepresented identity.
- Interdisciplinary teams spanning multiple institutions are highly encouraged.
Review Process and Review Criteria
One-page summaries will be reviewed by a panel with expertise in supporting diverse and inclusive entrepreneurship. Finalists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Merit of the innovation proposed and its expected commercial potential
- Quality of the technology transfer strategy and future plans
- Interdisciplinarity of the team
Reasonableness of the budget and budget justification
Download application here: MUNI NTEC NanoEarth
Databases of STEM Funding Opportunities
For undergraduates: https://pathwaystoscience.org/Undergrads.aspx
For graduate students: https://pathwaystoscience.org/Grad.aspx